Kayak Fishing Tournament – Friday, June 21 on Lake Como (New Time – 6-9 pm)
Official Rules and Regulations
Paddlefest Kayak Fishing Tournament
Ohio River at Coney Island Park
Presented by The Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers (NKFF)
1.Participation and Eligibility: Anglers 17 years and older are considered adults and anglers 16 years and younger are considered youth. Youth are eligible to register and participate with a parent or guardian who also participates in the event. Youth must have the signature of his/her parent or legal guardian on the registration form. Each angler must have paid an entry fee and received a scoring bag including, ruler, score card, pen etc. in order to compete in the tournament. No one from NKFF’s organizing committee will be eligible to win.
2. Dates: Friday, June 21 from 6-9 pm with final weigh in at 9:15 pm.
3. Location: The Ohio River Paddlefest area surrounding Coney Island. Captain’s Meeting, check in, and awards ceremony will be held in weigh in area.
4. Rain Date and Restrictions: There will be no rain date for the contest.
5. Captain’s Meeting: Mandatory meeting begins at 5:30 pm on the docks at Lake Como. At this meeting the Captain will go over the following:
- Review of the rules
- Potential hazards when on the water
- Medical emergencies, communications and safety procedures
- Explanation of divisions and categories
- The tournament clock will be synchronized at the Captain’s Meeting.
- Anglers must have their own boat, bait, tackle & camera
6. Format and Scoring: Catch and release only. Participants must use their own digital camera with removable memory, or a disposable digital camera to document how the fish was caught and the overall length of the catch. The ruler provided in the scoring bag must be visible in every picture with the length clearly shown. Length should be measured to the nearest half of an inch from tip of lower jaw to the tip of an un-pinched tail. Measurements and other details should be recorded on the scorecard.Final scoring will be based on the following point system.
- One point is awarded for each fish caught and documented
- Catch a fish with a fly rod and fly: 3 bonus points/fish
- Catch a fish with an non-fly-rod and artificial lure: 2 bonus point/fish
- Longest fish caught: 6 bonus point
- Catch multiple species: 3 bonus points
7. Prizes: To be determined and published by Ohio River / Paddlefest management.
8. Fishing Regulations: Each participant must abide by the current fishing regulations and laws designated by the States of Ohio and Kentucky. All fishing will take place in Lake Como at Coney Island this year, not on the Ohio River.
9. Permitted Fishing Methods: All fish must be caught via hook and line on a hand-held rod by bait or artificial lure . All fish must be caught via kayak, canoe or similar non-motorized paddle/pedal only craft (hereinafter referred to as “kayak”). Wade/shore fishing is allowed provided the kayak was the sole means of transportation to the fishing zone, and provided that the kayak is within sight and within a safely reachable distance of the angler at all times! No ferrying (transfer by powerboat) allowed. A maximum of two anglers per watercraft is permitted.
10. Safety: Safe boating must be observed at all times. Each participant is required to follow U.S. Coast Guard regulations including possession of coast guard approved Type III personal flotation devices (PFD), 360 degree light and a whistle.
11. Communications: The use of mobile communication is allowed. Please be respectful of other fishermen.
12. Sportsmanship: All contestants are required to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy and conservation. Intoxication will be cause for immediate disqualification. No alcoholic beverages or the use of any illegal drugs is allowed. This rule extends through and includes signing of the check in form at registration to the end of the event. The illegal use of drugs, participation in any criminal activities, or other conduct reflecting unfavorably upon efforts to promote safety, sportsmanship, fair competition and compliance with tournament rules and the law are grounds for disqualification and/or rejection of any applicant from participation. This will also entail the return of any prizes awarded.
13. Release of Liability: A waiver and release of liability statement is part of the entry form. It is required of each contestant that they take responsibility for themselves while participating in any tournament activity.
14. Protest: All protests must be made in writing within 30 minutes of the tournament’s noted start or finish time. The tournament coordinator and/or representatives of the Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers has the final authority in any and all considerations.
15. Rules Interpretation/changes: Rules interpretation and any possible changes will be left exclusively to the tournament coordinator and/or the Northern Kentucky Fly Fishers representative.
16. Charity: This is a charity tournament with all proceeds donated to The Ohio River Paddlefest to promote the Ohio River Water Trail and the Kids Outdoor Adventure Expo.